Sunday, August 8, 2010

It's all in the details

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post.  My first Alaskan summer is flying by (feels like it's raining by too.)  I have had the opportunity to see some amazing things this summer.  Some of the highlights were: a herd of musk ox chillin' near a Coast Guard Station, the musk ox farm in Palmer (yes, I like the musk ox), the red light district of Ketchikan, a sunny trip to Denali with bears everywhere (but not too close), hiking in a rain forest in the rain, camping on the Kenai Lake, the Arctic Studies Center at the museum, exploring the local farmers' markets and being able to test out my new bike and explore new neighborhoods. 

This post is just a sampling of some interesting little things I've noticed around town and throughout my travels.  Hope you enjoy!

Some inviting shutters at Savage Cabin in Denali National Park.  I'm assuming it's a bear deterrent, but probably works well on us overly curious folks as well. 


The Central Building entrance located on G St. and 3rd Ave.  The building had this great mid-century modern signage.  The rest of the building is pretty nice (original windows and some decorative concrete design), but there's a strange stone facade added to the first floor which is pretty distracting.  I imagine the inside might have some interesting retro detailing, but I wasn't sure if central meant public. (I'm also a bit more leery entering private property in a state with so many guns, but I digress.)

 
Metal grating near the Oscar Anderson House.  When I went by the house it wasn't open yet, but I did get to walk the perimeter and see all the decorative details on and around the house that is generally lacking in most of the buildings around Anchorage.  It's definitely the nicest little craftsman I've seen in Anchorage.


The Igloo Hotel, Cantwell, AK.  When we were driving up to Denali I got super excited when I saw this (those who know me know why), but we had a convoy going on, so we couldn't stop.  So I tried taking a photo on the way back, but I was too quick, then too slow.  So this is the best shot.  Turns out this building was just named as one of the 10 most endangered historic properties in Alaska by the Alaska Association for Historic Preservation.  Apparently, it's been sitting vacant for quite some time.  It's the only kitschy roadside architecture (which I love) that I've seen so far in Alaska. 


Inside the Heavy Duty Shed, Port Clarence, AK.  I was sent up to Port Clarence to document a Coast Guard Station that was going to be decommissioned.  This was the highlight architecturally speaking.  The exterior was all corrugated metal, so I assumed it was just a metal-framed structure.  I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this elaborate wood truss system.  The building pre-dates the coasties.  It was constructed shortly after WWII and is in great condition.


Musk ox!  There were the guys just hanging out with the coasties.  They are rapidly becoming my favorite pre-historic looking animal.  I especially love their "horn-do". 


Some toes from a totem pole in Ketchikan, AK.


A retro mailbox along Married Man's Trail.  Ketchikan, AK


Retro signage from Stewart's Photo Shop on 4th Avenue, Anchorage, AK. The entire facade is perfectly 50's.  I'm not sure how it's survived.  But as I just got a scratch on the lens of my camera, I may stop by and see what they can do.

That's all for now.  I've got dozens more to share, but the sun is setting and bedtime is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment