Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Federal Building (Anchorage, AK) & a bit of a pre-Ramble

I suppose I should better explain what I'm doing.  In an effort to better familiarize myself with the historic resources of Alaska, I'm first looking at the National Register-listed properties (in Anchorage, as that's where I live, but hopefully getting out to other areas this summer) to get a sense of the significance of each property and ultimately develop a personal database for historic properties in Alaska.  There are currently 28 listed properties within the National Register database for the Anchorage area.  A few are archaeological sites, a few are located outside the city on private property and a couple may have been demolished or moved, so I'll just be photographing and posting on those properties I can find.  In addition to NR-listed properties, there are dozens of interesting standing structures that may not be listed or even eligible for listing, but hold a special place in my heart.  (Yes, buildings can hold a place in your heart.  Several districts in New Orleans come to mind.)  I'll be posting on some of those as well.  So, this blog is really a personal effort to grow as a preservationist and to help make Alaska feel more like home to me.

OK, Back to cool buildings!



The Federal Building is located right across the street from the Fourth Avenue Theater in the heart of downtown Anchorage.  (I'm seeing the need for maps...)  It was designed by the California-based architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood and constructed in 1939-41.  Described as "New Deal Concrete", this massive structure takes up and entire city block and has changed very little since its construction.  I have yet to go inside, but I have been to the reindeer sausage hot dog stand out front, which are made out of no more than 10% reindeer meat.  Go figure. 



And due to traffic, trees and my very little digital camera, I couldn't get a really good shot of this big, big building.  Luckily, the Alaska Digital Archives and the NR database have some great photos:







This last photo is when Alaska became the 49th state in 1959. 



1 comment:

  1. Running into the same problem here in Spain. How do you fit a 15th century cathedral in a narrow hilly street into one shot?

    ReplyDelete